Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Basic Flatwater Kayak Training
Saturday, June 22, 2019, 9:00 AM until 2:00 PM
The Boat Launch at Hyde Lake inside Shelby Farms
Great View Drive North
Basics of Flatwater Kayaking
Spend a day with ACA (American Canoe Association) certified instructors from the Bluff City Canoe Club learning everything you need to know to get started kayaking safely!
The class is from 9:00-2:00 at the Hyde Lake boat launch located inside Shelby Farms Park.
What to Bring:
- Your Kayak and Paddle (You can rent one from Hyde Lake Boat Rental if you don't have one)
- Your life jacket (you will not be allowed to participate without a life jacket)
- Close-toed shoes that can get wet
- Clothing that can get wet
- Towel and change of clothes
- Lunch, snacks and plenty of water
- Sunscreen and a hat highly recommended
This class is for Bluff City Canoe Club members. If you are not a member, we would love to have you join. Membership is just $30 for the year and includes your entire family. You can join here --> Member Signup / Information
The cost is $20/person and includes "The Essentials of River Kayaking" instruction guide published by the American Canoe Association.
If you are not a member of the ACA, there is an additional $5 charge to cover insurance for the class.
You will be required to fill out and turn in this waiver, along with the $5 fee at the beginning of the class:
2019 Adult Waiver
2019 Minor Waiver
- How to transport your kayak safely
- How to pickup and carry your kayak safely
- Basic Equipment needed to get started plus a few "nice to haves"
- Proper paddling clothing
- Basic Terminology
- Getting in and out of your kayak the right way
- Holding the paddle
- Basic Strokes
- Forward Stroke (How to paddle in a straight line)
- Backward Stroke
- Turning Strokes
- Sculling strokes
- Dealing with flipping over